Friday, March 19, 2010

Tell Me About Yourself

I'm currently on a job search and I'm anticipating that one question, well, it's more of a request.

"Tell me about yourself." Don't you hate that request?! I mean really, where do you go with that? A few guidelines would be helpful. Do you want a 30 second clip or the whole novel? I'm not a wildly interesting person but I can get on a roll when I'm telling a story.

Years ago, my best friend's daughter would car pool with me from Corona to Orange, it was a 35-40 minute drive. I'd pick her up just after dawn and before she knew it, I'd be on a roll. One question, or even a word from her seemed to invite me to commence the torture! I could see it in her eyes as it happened, that glazed over look, but my words kept coming like hot lava from a volcano erupting. People should know to run but this little girl was trapped and she knew it. Once it took the entire trip to tell her about a dream I had the night before. (I said I could get on a roll but I didn't say it would be interesting.) I remember the next day when I picked her up. She got in the car... yawned... then faked like she was asleep. Smart girl! She found her way to slyly set the guidelines for me.

I'd much rather listen to someone else's story than to tell my own. But when asked, I feel obliged. So I've learned to plan for this dreaded request. It all depends on when and where this request is made. But here are my guidelines:

On a date?  1-2 minute highlights of livelihood, hobbies and interests will suffice. However, "where" the question is asked could change the direction of my answer.
On a job interview? 30 seconds outlining my unique skill set and how I'll save the interviewer time and money. However, "when" the question is asked could change the direction of my answer.
On TV? Just LIE. 15 minutes of the best damn story you can dream up! It's your 15 minutes of fame, baby! Everyone in Hollywood is doing it!

Until the next time...

Cheers!

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At 3:32 PM , Blogger Kristi said...

Hola! I followed you here from Facebook! I didn't know you had a blog! I do too if you want to click on me and take a look!

I enjoyed this post, can't wait to read more!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home