Thursday, December 03, 2009

Singapore, Singapore - Part II

Tara Speaks It Into Existence

Meanwhile, starting with the New Year, my daughter claimed a year of travel and success entering her work of passion. She didn’t really mean for them to come together as a package, she just wanted to a) seriously kick off her music career and b) travel out of the country. Since she was freshly out of work, I had to chuckle at this thought but my daughter is not bothered by those that don’t immediately see her vision. Nor is she easy to dissuade once she sets her mind on something. Yet I couldn’t help being surprised when a few months later she phoned me to say that she was exploring an offer to sing in Singapore for 4 months. WHAT?! Breathe…WHERE?! Breathe….HOW?! Breathe…The questions built up rapidly and they stuck in my throat cutting off my breath, or so it seemed. My world swirled and headlines of human trafficking raced through my mind. This is my only child; my pride and joy! LORD PLEASE! Thankfully, I was able to steady myself and think sensibly. “Okay… you only have a few weeks to decide so you need to research this offer quickly.” Not knowing much about the music industry, I offered my help where I could. I scanned hundreds and hundreds of pages of comments regarding travel to Singapore. I searched for other artist that had traveled there. I looked for scams and security issues. Frankly, I looked for a reason she shouldn’t go. I didn’t sleep; I didn’t even get up from my computer except to refill my coffee cup or to empty my bladder. Then about 18 hours later, sitting in front of my computer I had to admit, this just might be the experience of a lifetime. Though Singapore has a heavy influence of Chinese, Malaysian, and Indonesian cultures, it is an English speaking country. It is said to be the safest and cleanest country in the world. It’s easy to get around and though it’s not inexpensive to live there, some of the cost of living would be covered within the contract. I was able to locate a few artists that had performed there within the last couple years and though their feedback wasn’t full of praises, there were no real dangers mentioned either. I can’t say that I was excited about this opportunity but it was beginning to look like I may have to support the idea. But she doesn’t even have her passport!!

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home