Friday, November 06, 2009

War unveils a new woman and she’s “His Girl Friday”


I’m a bit tired tonight so I thought I would just slip into the past with an old movie. In the 1920’s and the 1940’s, war demanded that women take on a new role. With the absence of so many men from the homes, women were required to go to work and take over many of the chores that were previously handled by the men in their lives. I’m guessing this was done with some hesitation but in the end a new woman was unveiled. A stronger more confident, sassy lassy arose. The meek and quiet were old hat and the silver screen soon brought to light the reality of a tougher yet still sexy woman. Here in the 1940’s classic “His Girl Friday”, Rosalind Russell, playing opposite Cary Grant, gives a great example of this new species. She’s no push-over but she is all woman! Check out the fashion, it’s beautiful. Masculine pleats and square shoulders laid on an hour glass figure. You may not see it in this movie but this is the time when women also dared to shorten those hem lines and lengthen the legs with platforms. It was boldly feminine. These classic looks were my favorites when I was a teen and they’re still my favorites today. I should’ve been born about a half century earlier. Oh well… I’ll just click, watch and disappear into another era. I hope you enjoy!
Watch it now: "His Girl Friday"

Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home