Monday, December 07, 2009

Singapore, Singapore – Part VI


My Own Orient Express

It was an early afternoon flight and I wanted to be at the airport earlier than the suggested time. In my family, fashionably late is the norm and often taken to the limits. Just the other day, Tara was telling her cousin the story about a time that she and her grandmother arrived at a wedding as the newlyweds were exiting the church. Shamefully they mixed in with the crowd outside as they claimed, “Oh what a beautiful wedding! Wasn’t it?” Yes, we tend to run on our own special clocks. But this was one of the most important trips of my life. My bags had been packed for two days which is another anomaly. Professionally, it’s my job to be proactive and well prepared. Yet privately, I love the drama of a last minute rush. Before Tara left to Singapore, we were up all night packing and repacking. She wanted to pack all her favorite pieces of course; I reminded her that “show clothes” were the priority. Either way, we’re talking about a lot of everything! It would have been great if her new employers had sent a moving truck over to transfer the required 6 months belongings but instead she’d have to find a way to fit it all into two large suitcases and one small carry on. Miracles do happen! Now it was my turn. I was so excited at the thought of wrapping my arms around my daughter and I didn’t want anything to go wrong. So there I was, saying goodbye to mom, checking in, passing through security and sitting at my gate ultra early awaiting the plane that would carry me to the other side of the world.
Singapore Airlines is one of the most awarded airlines and once you’ve experienced a flight on this lovely aircraft, it’s obvious as to why. Upon boarding the plane the crew was there to greet me and direct me to my assigned aisle seat. After stuffing my blanket and carryon bag of books, sudoku and homemade trail mix under the seat carriage, I held my breath as I lowered myself into the seat hoping my tape measurer didn’t lie. Images of Sheila sadly leaving the plane flew through my mind and I begged, Please, please, please then … “awwwwwww, nice. I think I’m going to be okay.” There was a nice lady sitting next to the window and the seat between us was empty. We both crossed our fingers as the plane filled in hopes that we’d be lucky enough to have the extra space. The crew made their final preparations and announcements and before we knew it we were off! A train of petite airline stewards in brightly colored Asian styled dresses began their glide down the aisles like porcelain dolls. Their friendly smiles seem to be permanently painted on because they never drooped as they passed by each row distributing steamy white cloths. I thought Wow! A mini spa! as I mimicked others that placed the cloth lightly over their face. A slight aroma of eucalyptus filled the air and the warmth calmed the natural buzz within me. Now that’s Relaxation! However, if that didn’t calm your nerves, the next procession of brightly dressed porcelain dolls had another trick up their sleeves. A cart full of beverages from a list that seemed never ending with no additional cost. Coffee? Bailey’s with that? Soda? Bit of Rum? Wine? and of course tea, International or Green? Beverages of all kinds seemed to flow from an endless fountain. Soon everyone found comfort in their cozy space and the small monitors attached to each seat-back were streaming entertainment of various types. With your personal remote you had a choice from 100+ movies, favorite TV shows, music videos, books on tape, children’s games, news, and in case you need to learn a language within the next 24 hours, Berlitz language software was available with a click of a button as well. Delicious meals were served before my stomach had a chance to growl and continued to come throughout the flight. Just in case you forgot your toothpaste and toothbrush, they provided that too with a pair of cuddly socks in a plain little pouch labeled Givenchy. “GIVENCHY”, said the woman sitting next to me, “this will be the only designer item in my closet.” We laughed and I realized I had unnecessarily packed so many things in my bag to keep me comfortable and to pass the time but Singapore Airlines had thought of it all. Then before I knew it, I was in Asia! The plane may not have had ornate carvings, Thai lacquered bars, nor did it travel on rails through adventurous areas but… I did feel like I was flying in luxury. This may be as close to first class that I’ll ever get and I loved it. It was my own little Orient Express.

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At 10:40 PM , Blogger Sam and Becky said...

hahahahaha! I love it! I would have had no idea what to do with the warm cloths! Sounds like an AWESOME plane ride. I HATE flying, so I think that would have been a good flight to be on!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home