Saturday, December 05, 2009

Singapore, Singapore – Part IV


Not so Random After All


As the 4th month of Tara’s contract closed in, she had really begun to feel comfortable and was exploring her surrounding areas more. Maybe even a little too much if you consider her sexy video shoot on the streets of the Muslim populated country, Malaysia which enforces a conservative dress code. I was also feeling more relaxed and enjoying the thrill of her experience from afar. So our conversations were less frequent but still regular. I started watching the ticket prices, watching my budget, watching my waistline and planning. We had originally thought we’d go to Bali for 8 days after she completed her contract but due to monsoon season, we decided on Thailand. Phuket, to be specific. Yes, you know… site of the 2004 Tsunami. Why go to beautiful Bali with the chance of thunderous storms when you can go to Thailand and possibly experience a natural disaster? We figured chances were slim for another tsunami and we heard they had recovered well. But more importantly, there was the shopping of course. Great deals in Bangkok! It was a must, Tara’s mind was set! As for me, I was just thinking of the luggage, luggage, luggage!!

My anticipation for the trip grew with each passing week and I started to research Thailand and the many beautiful beaches we could visit. I went to the library and checked out a few books, but the real surprise came to me when I decided to check my own travel book to see if it had anything regarding Singapore and Thailand. So I pulled out my hefty “Journeys of a Lifetime – 500 of the World’s Greatest Trips” book and flipped through the pages… and to my amazement, I was led to the one page I had earmarked way back in January. The Eastern & Oriental Express! REALLY! It runs from Singapore, up through Malaysia, and on to Bangkok, Thailand! The one place I picked from all 393 pages of that book is exactly where I was headed! I was stunned. Is it possible that I could take this train ride? Is it possible that whatever you claim to be yours, is really yours? Is it that easy? Well, let me cut this suspense short. NO! It wasn’t. The departures are limited but that isn’t even the reason. A trip on a luxury train is quite expensive as you can imagine and takes 5 days just the one way. With time and money being tight, it really wasn’t reasonable. Plus, all Tara wanted to do when she finished her contract was to find a sunny beach to lay on so I would have felt very selfish begging her to sit on a train for 5 days after 6 months of an intense schedule. BUT… the fact that I was going to Singapore and traveling on to Thailand was close enough for me. Two places I never thought I would travel to. Yet straight from my wish list, it was about to be a reality.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home